2019 Sep 20
Here’s for the entrepreneurs who have been on the receiving end of countless “no shmoney honey”s. Seedstars Colombo is the perfect opportunity for budding entrepreneurs to take their product into court and let it play. As this game-changing competition takes place on the 7th of October here’s everything you need to know about it.
What is Seedstars World?
A global startup competition with a footprint in over 75 countries, Seedstars World is a Switzerland-based programme designed to discover startups beyond Silicon Valley and Western Europe. Seedstars World focuses on emerging markets and rapidly moving start-up scenes to promote entrepreneurship and tech innovation in a way to combat unemployment. Here’s what’s interesting! They help you take your product into the market in full-swing through investments, exposing you into their network of international experts and through mentoring.
What is Seedstars Colombo?
The Sri Lanka Association of Software and Services Companies a.k.a SLASSCOM, which possesses memberships in 200 companies that generate over 90% of the IT/BPM industry export revenue and employment in Sri Lanka has partnered up with Seedstars World – yup you guessed right – for a national startup event!
Seedstars Colombo is not only a watershed moment for passionate entrepreneurs but sheds a light on Sri Lankan talent and skills on a global platform. Isn’t that exciting?
How Does the Competition Unroll?
In a nutshell, the competition kickstarts with a screening of entries. Afterwhich, 20 startups are chosen and mentored on how to get investment ready and pitch. Thereafter, the startups will undergo further mentoring with a panel that consists of local experts. Finally, 8 teams will be selected to pitch on the 7th of October, therein to be chosen for the regional competition.
At the regional competition, winners are given the opportunity to pitch and network with investors, corporates and governments worldwide.
The regional competition then leads to the global event held in Switzerland where the winners are granted equity financing and many other benefits.
Why Should You Care?
The programme ensures a gateway into a large community of like-minded enthusiasts who are ready to invest. That’s not all, there’s much more to it, so let me break it down for you.
- Seedstars is the ideal platform to showcase your products and ideas, given that Seedstars World Events garner worldwide coverage with around 800 articles published on the world tour and final event.
- It is the perfect networking opportunity with over a thousand investors, speakers, corporates and other participants gracing the final event.
- Granting you mass-market access, it is an opportunity to establish international contacts and discover complementary business partners.
- It is a knowledge-sharing hub where top-notch entrepreneurs, experts and other corporate moguls come together. As such, makes it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity not to be missed.
- Teams undergo comprehensive mentoring with field experts on fine-tuning their business plans, strategies and pitching skills.
- Finally, the winners of the competition are given equity and financing along with other cash and technology prizes. Moreover, 200+ investors attend the regional and global summits.
As this groundbreaking event is set and ready to roll, ICTA has come on board as the National Partner, Master Card and PwC as Co-Sponsors, Hatch as the Hospitality Partner and Peoples Bank as the Banking Partner. The organiser of the event, SLASSCOM wants you to know that applications close on the 26th of September, so if you think you’ve got what it takes, apply today.